Chef and Hurricane Irma survivor Dawn McGill has opened Irma’s Café in Mooresville, North Carolina. After the hurricane devastated most of South Florida, McGill, along with her fiancée and children, sought refuge in a friend’s home in NC.
Upon discovering that their live-aboard sailboat had been completely destroyed by the hurricane, McGill decided to rebuild her life by making pies and cakes out of her friend’s kitchen and selling them on Facebook.
Less than a year later, she opened her own pop-up restaurant in Downtown Mooresville, sponsored by The Pushcart. Irma’s Café has since become an in-demand breakfast spot in the area, the result of hard work and a refusal to give up in the face of adversity.
The restaurant found a permanent spot in November 2017, at 631 North Main Street, just right up the street from their old pop-up location. McGill made the announcement on the café’s Facebook page.
The café continues to be popular among Mooresville residents, thanks to the delicious comfort food and top-notch service.
Irma’s Café serves all-day breakfast and lunch. They also do food deliveries. The menu consists of salads, soup, and sandwiches. Crowd favorites include the breakfast burrito, Philly cheese steak, Cuban sandwich, and Southern biscuits with gravy.
The restaurant will start serving special platters upon transferring to their new location. These platters include spaghetti Bolognese, sirloin pinwheels, and creole chicken and cheesy grits. McGill held a taste test for the platters in November.
The restaurant has a casual, low-key vibe that diners will appreciate. McGill keeps the focus on the food and service, offering diners value for their money.
Click here to check out their menu.
More dining options in Mooresville
Downtown Mooresville is packed with restaurants that serve Italian, Mexican, Japanese, and Thai fare. Here are some dining hotspots to check out:
- Alino Pizzeria – This Italian restaurant serves authentic Neapolitan-style pizza. All pizzas are made from scratch and cooked in 90 seconds or less by way of traditional wood fire ovens. The dough is imported from Italy.Alino also serves salad and dessert. Click here to view their menu.
- Tequila’s Mooresville – Sink your teeth into some fish tacos, chorizo cheese fries, and shrimp burritos at Tequila’s. Hosting a party? The restaurant also offers catering services to virtually any location in NC. Entertain guests in style and impress them with delicious food from Tequila’s.
- JJ Wasabi – Come to JJ Wasabi for some of the best sushi rolls in town. They also serve spring rolls, chicken yakitori, miso soup, and pear salad. Come here to catch up with friends on a Friday night. The restaurant has a full-service bar where you can order some drinks.
- Thai Thai Café – Drop by Thai Thai Café for some red curry, coconut soup, and other fantastic dishes. The restaurant brings traditional Thai cooking to the fore, offering a unique combination of colors, textures, and flavors.
- Big Tiny’s BBQ – This family-owned restaurant serves pulled pork, jalapeño sausage, pork spare ribs, and other amazing dishes. The warm and welcoming interior makes it perfect for family gatherings.
Live close to Mooresville’s vibrant restaurant scene. Call David Dunn at 704.999.3591 or send an email to David(dotted)Dunn(at)SothebysRealty(dotted)com to get started on finding the right home in the area.